You should choose this course if you work with any of the designated substances that are hazardous to health, and you want to learn how to handle these substances safely and deal with related accidents.
The course helps employers to ensure the safety of their staff and to comply with their obligations under the latest HSE regulations.
There are a wide range of jobs in which you will come into contact with materials that are hazardous to health on an almost daily basis. These materials have many benefits in cleaning, disinfection, manufacturing and other applications, but to enjoy these benefits with the minimum of risk, you need to understand and respect their use.
The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regulations are designed to help you to reduce the risks for yourself and those around you when working with hazardous substances.
The definition of hazardous substances include:
- Biological agents
COSSH training also includes products that contain hazardous chemicals, such as cleaning products and building materials, as well as certain microbiological agents, such as bacteria that cause leptospirosis or legionnaires disease. However COSSH training does not cover lead, asbestos or radioactive materials.
Is the COSHH TrainingCourse right for me?
You should consider the COSSH Training Course if you work with hazardous materials and want to know how to handle them safely and how to respond to incidentsand accidents.
As an employer, you have a legal obligation to provide COSSH training to all staff working with hazardous substances. Hazardous materials can be found in a wide range of industries, including:
- Social care (such as Nursing and Residential Homes)
- Hair salons
- Printing manufacturers
- Welding and heavy industry
What will I learn?
By attending the COSSH Training Course, you will get a complete overview of working with hazardous substances, from the latest legislation to identifying and controlling materials. The aim of the course is to give you the knowledge and expertise to work with these substances in a safe and controlled manner, reducing the risks to your health and protecting others in your working environment.
What does the course cover?
The COSSH Training Course is presented in six modules:
Introduction to COSHH:
- Definition of a hazardous substance
- The potential risks of using hazardous substances
- Examples of hazardous substances in your workplace
- Usingrisk assessment to controlthe risks from hazardous substances
- COSHH 2002 and CHIP regulations (Chemicals Hazard and information Packaging) 2005.
- HSE Guidance Notes
- Duties of employers and employees under COSHH
- Explanation of the specific health problems related to specific hazardous substances
- How hazardous substances can enter the human body.
- Acute and chronic symptoms from long and short term exposure.
Identifying hazardous substances
- Identifying hazardous substances in the workplace
- Understanding COSHH labels and warning symbols
- Usingsafety data sheets in the workplace
- Safety data sheets and COSHH risk assessments
Controlling hazardous substances
- Definition hazards and risks
- Identifying who is at risk in the workplace
- Control measures to manage the risk from hazardous substances
- The hierarchy of control measures –elimination, substitution, minimisingrisk.
- Safe systems of work and personal protective equipment
- The responsibilities of employers and employees in COSHH risk assessments
- The importance or recording,monitoring and reviewing COSHH risk assessments
- Health Surveillance.
The course takes three hours and can be arranged at your convenience to suit your staff and shift patterns.
How am I assessed?
There is a written examination at the end of the course, which you must pass in order to gain certification.
On successful completion of the course and subsequent exam, you will be awarded a certificate of attendance.
Where is the COSHH TrainingCourse held?
You can find a COSSH Training Course at any of our nationwide network of training centres, located across the UK.
However, you will find it more relevant and more convenient to arrange training in-house at your place of work. In-house training allows your course to be tailored to the specific risks and hazards present in your workplace, focusing on relevant training without wasting time on regulations and techniques that you do not need.
In-house COSSH Training Courses are very cost effective for managers and very convenient for staff, removing the time and expense of traveling to a training centre.
Cost for COSHH Training
We are confident that we can offer you a competitive price for convenient, tailored safety training. Talk to our friendly team today on 0808 164 9690 and see how we can help you take better care of your team.
All prices exclude VAT.